Here is a link to one of my videos where the central focus is birthdays.
As close as we are to the arrival of our Lord and Saviour, one would think striving to perfection would be foremost upon our hearts and minds with each passing day. I am aware some of you do in fact strive to that end. Any opportunity to be pulled off the path to Christ should be abhorred like the fires of Hell. If we are striving to become strong Christians that not only follow after Christ but strive to be perfect in Christ, then the following passage would be the best epitaph of our lives; if in fact we are called to leave this fertile soil before Christ returns, and in so doing we did so with a perfected Christ like walk.
Ecclesiastes 7:1 “A good name is better than precious ointment; and the day of death than the day of one’s birth.”
Amazing how the men of God in Scripture curse the day they are born, yet seek to be all they can be for God at the day of their death knowing doing so will warrant the best possible blessing known to man, the better resurrection. Makes perfect sense does it not? When you are born, you have a lifetime of trials ahead of you that if you lack faith, may cause your eternal demise. But the day of one’s death could also be a grandiose day if in fact we come to that day as did Paul wherein he declared …
2 Timothy 4:6-8 “For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand. I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith: Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.”
Paul looked to the day of his death as a blessed day worthy of mention. Can you now see Satan’s fingerprints upon this so-called personal holiday called birthdays? It does the exact opposite of the precious Scriptural insight we have from our Lord. Instead of seeking for an honored day of death that guarantees a “better resurrection,” the birthday ritual seeks to honor the day all men of God call cursed. One would think any day this side of eternity is cursed, with the exception of the day we came to a realization of our sinful state and are in need of a Saviour. If there is one thing Satan can be counted on to do, it is that he will always take that which is unblessed to make it appear blessed.
I want you to know that it was only recently that God placed this truth about birthday celebration into the hearts of me and my family. It happened to be a particularly difficult truth to handle. However, as with all things that seem too difficult for us, we all have to remember that nothing is too difficult for Him. When we go to Him in our weakness, He comes to us in His strength.
2 Corinthians 12:9 “And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.”
Satan will always try his best to convince us that we are unworthy of love and acceptance. He needs us to feel like we are worthless. He attacks us in very sneaky and manipulative ways. He needs you in fear so that you won’t preach the truth. Satan can only speak lies. Once we understand this fact, we are well on our way toward having real discernment. For it is written …
John 8:44 “Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.”
If we want to make the claim that we are Christians, then we need to keep His commandments and “walk, even as he walked.” And, Christ never once celebrated a birthday. To make it extremely clear that birthday celebrations are something to stay away from, we aren’t even given Christ’s birthday in Scripture.
The birthday ritual, the ritual of the cake, candles, wish, and presents serve to give thanks to sky luminaries for allowing the birthday celebrant to reach the annual cycle of their birth. The cake was baked for the Queen of Heaven (hot cross buns). It was decorated and monogrammed in the celebrant’s name. the candles symbolized the Sacred Fire, carefully numbered for each annual cycle completed. The prayer chant (birthday song) and all the ritual procedures are carefully preserved, and it is a RELIGIOUS occasion.
Witches regard the day of one’s birth the most significant event in a person’s life. Astrologers base everything on it. If the celebrant can blow out all the candles, then a secret wish made to a genie (or Juno if the person is female) will be granted. The birthday itself was a time of great superstition to a Pagan, so they were surrounded by their friends and relatives for protection.
In the Scriptures, NO ONE is recorded to have kept a feast or held a great banquet on Christ’s birthday. It is only sinners (like Pharaoh, Herod, and Job’s children) who make great rejoicings over the day they were born into this world. In all of the Bible, NOT ONE righteous servant of God celebrated any birthday. NONE of the Apostles or their disciple’s (nor Jesus Himself) ever held celebration of their birthdays. In fact, in all the Bible we read only about the wicked celebrating someone’s birthday. And in each case, we find death, destruction, and torture associated with the birthday tradition/ritual.
“The various customs with which people today celebrate their birthdays have a long history. Their origins lie in the realm of magic and religion. The customs of offering congratulations, presenting gifts and celebrating – complete with lighted candles – in ancient times were meant to protect the birthday celebrant from the demons and to ensure his security for the coming year … Down to the fourth century Christianity rejected the birthday celebration as a pagan custom.” -“Schwäbische Zeitung” (magazine supplement Zeit und Welt) of April 3/4, 1981 pg. 4
Pharaoh killed his chief baker on his (Pharaoh’s) birthday.
Genesis 40:20-22 “And it came to pass the third day, which was Pharaoh’s birthday, that he made a feast unto all his servants: and he lifted up the head of the chief butler and of the chief baker among his servants. And he restored the chief butler unto his butlership again; and he gave the cup into Pharaoh’s hand: But he hanged the chief baker: as Joseph had interpreted to them.”
Herod killed John the Baptist on his birthday.
Matthew 14:6-10 “But when Herod’s birthday was kept, the daughter of Herodias danced before them, and pleased Herod. Whereupon he promised with an oath to give her whatsoever she would ask. And she, being before instructed of her mother, said, Give me here John Baptist’s head in a charger. And the king was sorry: nevertheless for the oath’s sake, and them which sat with him at meat, he commanded it to be given her. And he sent, and beheaded John in the prison.”
One thing that made me step back a bit in awe was what happened to Job’s children. All of Job’s children gathered for birthdays on a regular basis. The Word actually illustrates that Job didn’t approve of this activity at all. In fact, he offered sacrifice for his children for such ungodly acts because of the temptation such merrymaking would usually lead to.
Job 1:4-5 “And his sons went and feasted in their houses, every one his day; and sent and called for their three sisters to eat and to drink with them. And it was so, when the days of their feasting were gone about, that Job sent and sanctified them, and rose up early in the morning, and offered burnt offerings according to the number of them all: for Job said, It may be that my sons have sinned, and cursed God in their hearts. Thus did Job continually.”
“There is no requirement for participation in ritual activity. The techniques presented in our literature are for members to make use of as they so desire. Some Satanists enjoy the social atmosphere of group ritual and seek out others for this purpose. Many Satanists find their ritual activity to be very personal and prefer to remain solitary. Either path is acceptable to the Church of Satan. Indeed, there are no rules for frequency of ritual activity. Some celebrate the equinoxes and solstices as holidays, but of course one’s own birthday is the highest Satanic holiday of the year.” -This article originally appeared in a different form in A New Age: essays on current religious beliefs and practices published by Merrimac Books in 1992. It has since been revised and reprinted numerous times.
Birthdays are designed by the enemy of souls to cause a myriad of problems. So, how does this work? Why would Satan create such a ritual as birthdays that, on the surface, appear quite innocent and actually come off as a nice way to show our love for each other? How does this generate problems in a Christian household you ask? There are a few ways …
- It causes the one with the birthday to be exalted in an unnatural manner, which can and does generate the sin of envy in the hearts of most children as well as some immature adults. When a child gets a birthday gift a sibling or cousin wants, the sibling or cousin will be envious toward that gift and in so doing, sin is cultivated.
- The exaltation of a child at a birthday celebration also tempts them to crave unnatural attention and as many can attest to, some children become more unruly directly after such celebrations are over because they are suddenly looked upon as “normal” like everyone else after the party ends. They get upset because just a few hours ago they were looked upon as a celebrity of sorts, and now cold reality hits, and their glorification ends.
- The exaltation is especially harmful to some as vanity can be fostered into a lifelong crutch because of the way the heart feels when they are noticed above others during the merrymaking and so crave it afterward.
- Like the Pagan holiday of Christmas, it causes those giving gifts to experience four common problems.
- During economic hardships, (like now) they are forced to waste money they need for other more important things than gifts. This unwise stewardship of their money causes them to suffer financially for it, which also cultivates despair.
- The gift given can generate both anger and discord when the recipient doesn’t appreciate the effort they went through to find, purchase, wrap, and present the gift.
- It causes grief and despair when the one giving the gift is unable to spend the extra money to get the gift they really wanted to give.
- And finally, the sin of envy is generated when they are out-gifted by someone else that did have the extra money to give the better gift.
- It causes the one who is having the birthday to experience intense feelings of grief, sadness, and feelings of being unloved when loved ones don’t call, visit, give gifts, or even send cards or flowers to them.
- If the household is Christian, and loved ones that are not of the faith give gifts that are offensive to Christians, this in turn causes friction where none should be. It also tempts the Christian to let it slide for the sake of not offending the gift giver. If the temptation is embraced, and the gift accepted, the child is now confused when they witness a double standard being presented by the Christian parents. Worse yet, the non-believing gift giver also witnesses this double standard and uses it to confirm their desire to steer clear of Christianity.
- Another aspect of the Christian family being approached by non-believers bearing birthday gifts is when the parents do the right thing and refuse the offensive gift. The assumed good act of the nonbeliever is now looked upon as offensive, which is not so much the problem as we know Truth offends many. However, the child that is now prevented from receiving the gift they now crave may be tempted to dislike or distrust Christianity when a toy they now desire is taken away. It can now be illustrated to the child that Christianity prevents happiness if the child is not well grounded in the faith.
- Like Christmas, some are tempted to commit crimes to ensure their children have birthday gifts.
- Birthdates are also the catalyst of what we now see as a universally accepted billion-dollar business practice today. Horoscopes and biorhythms have become extremely popular and trusted as if they were written by God Himself. This is, of course, without mentioning other multi-billion-dollar companies that offer birthday cards, candles, cakes, party decorations, clowns, gift wrappings, etc.
- Finally, Commandment #2 is broken when either the person or the gift is idolized.
Speaking of the Horoscopes, were you aware of this historic fact?
The ancient world of Egypt, Greece, Rome, and Persia celebrated the birthdays of gods, kings, and nobles. Authors Ralph and Adelin Linton reveal the underlying reason for this. In their book The Lore of Birthdays, they write: Mesopotamia and Egypt, the cradles of civilization, were also the first lands in which men remembered and honoured their birthdays. The keeping of birthday records was important in ancient times principally because a birth date was essential for the casting of a horoscope. – The Encyclopedia Americana (1991 edition)
All the celebration and merrymaking associated with birthday celebrations is where temptation to sin is brought into play. This is why Job was offering sacrifice for his children that did gather on birthdays. He knew the drinking, feasting and merrymaking might lead to sin as it usually does. Sad thing is, it was during Job’s eldest son’s birthday celebration that Satan was allowed to send a tornado that killed all ten of Job’s children. Is this why Job cursed the day of his birth in Job 3 because of what happened on the day of his son’s birth? Strange thing is, if birthdays are all that important, or even considered a day of reckoning, why did the prophet Jeremiah also curse the day he was born?
Jeremiah 20:14-15 “Cursed be the day wherein I was born: let not the day wherein my mother bare me be blessed. Cursed be the man who brought tidings to my father, saying, A man child is born unto thee; making him very glad.”
One more amazing fact many seem to miss is that when we are born, and one year passes, we are not by any means 12 months old. We are actually 21 months old to be exact. Life is started at conception and for 9 months, we are growing in our mother’s womb. To say we are 12 months old a year after birth is a lie. Not only that, it belittles the fact we were alive on day one. This may seem a little thing for some, but this is how Satan manipulates the minds of the masses. To deny the fetus its existence entirely by declaring life starts at birth makes it that much easier for us to come to a state of mind that says abortion is acceptable.
The following section may or may not be in proper grouping orders, so my comments may be redundant.
1 Kings 18:21 “And Elijah came unto all the people, and said, How long halt ye between two opinions? If the Lord be God, follow him: but if Baal, then follow him. And the people answered him not a word.”
It is made clear that we have to make our choice of whether to follow God … or follow Satan.
Deuteronomy 11:26-28 “Behold, I set before you this day a blessing and a curse: 27 A blessing, if ye obey the commandments of the Lord your God, which I command you this day: 28 And a curse, if ye will not obey the commandments of the Lord your God, but turn aside out of the way which I command you this day, to go after other gods, which ye have not known.”
Verse 26 makes it very clear that we cannot hesitate in our choices to serve God since it is stated twice that we have to make the choice NOW, or “this day”. God is looking for obedience. The obedient Christian will reject the works of Satan and all things connected to him. As is stated here, we receive a blessing for following the commands of the Lord, and a curse for disobeying. Obedience is the key here.
Let us never forget …
1 John 2:6 “He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.”
The Lord our God NEVER ONCE celebrated His birthday! Neither did any of His Apostles!
When we place our own ideas of what is right and wrong above that which the Lord Himself has said is right and wrong, we then place ourselves as a god above God in direct opposition to His Word which says:
Exodus 20:3 (Commandment #1) “Thou shalt have no other gods before me.”
Please bear in mind that me and my family stopped celebrating holiday’s fully only recently. We are happier and more at peace because of this decision. Was it easy to give up everything we had believed to be true? No … not at first anyway. God gives His strength to those willing to accept it. In order to receive it, He requires obedience. Of course, it’s difficult to give up what you’ve “known” to be “true”! However, as I can personally attest:
Philippians 4:13 “I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.”